Sunday, August 30, 2009

Il mio primo giorno a Roma


Soooo I've really never felt this "butterflies in my stomach giddy" to this degree ever. The best part about it? It's not about a boy, it's not about not having to take stats class ever again, it's not about having gotten a phonecall or a text I'd been waiting for. Its about finally having arrived in a city that I'm instantly head over heels about, and knowing I get the next four months to explore it to my heart's content. It's about knowing that this is only the beginning, and knowing pretty much nothing else.
My first day was spent wandering the cobblestone streets of Rome, particularly around the Piazza Navona area. I arrived a day before the program started, so I stayed in a hotel that first day. Rome is HOT. serrrrrriously hot. (I'm getting a nice Roman tan, actually. Let's hear it for day trips to the Mediterranean sea, eh?). I started walking and wandered around the corner and just happened to stumble upon the Pantheon. How could you not love a place where simply by walking a few steps you come accross something as epic and historical and grand as the Pantheon?

From there I walked a little more and then came to Via Del Corso, one of the main commercial streets in that area. Commercial as in there's a disney store and a Zara, but there's still cobblestones, bite size cars, exquisitely-engineered buildings, and everything else that shouts Roma. Past Via Del Corso I found the , and then sat down for a caprese salad and fanta, where the, not gonna lie, dashingly attractive waiter gave me the clearest instructions I'd heard all day about how to find a store that could help me out with my european cell phone situation. nice, helpful, AND ridiculously handsome? Perfetto, I could get used to this ;)
I got my cell phone situation figured out at the Vodafone store, and now proudly sport a european slidephone, with a telephone number that I have yet to memorize..That evening I went to a little cafe and got talking with the several guys working there, and between all of us knowing varying levels of Italian, spanish, and English, we had a pretty great convo while rocking out to Black Eyed Peas under the Roman stars...ahhhh, la dolce vitta

No comments:

Post a Comment